• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image from Disney's Bolt (what American Dog became)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Seriously, the more i think about this art change, the more depressed I feel. I could not imagine a poorer transition.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The old artstyle would have even made me interested in the movie, and I never saw Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Shrek, The Incredibles, etc. etc. etc.

Rlan

Ether_Snake said:
The old artstyle would have even made me interested in the movie, and I never saw Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Shrek, The Incredibles, etc. etc. etc.

You missed out on some fantastic cinema in general, man.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't watch a lot of movies. (not something I'm proud of either:p)

Fireblend

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

What? Go out and get some Pixar stuff, specially The Incredibles.

Also, the art style is seriously hideous, I don't recall ever hearing about this project, but those old concept shots look a whole lot more appealing than the current look/style =/

Ether_Snake said:
Watch the Pixar flicks, all of them are at least pretty good and a few are really great.

Skip Shrek.

I'm a Chris Sanders whore so I'll help this thread out a bit since it's lacking information.

American Dog was about a dog named Henry who was a TV star, who one day finds himself lost in Nevada. He befriends a one-eyed cat with a temper and a gigantic radioactive rabbit, also trying to find home, and they embark on a trip together. During their whole trip Henry thinks he's still on TV, too. That's about all that's known of the old story.

The new story, IIRC, is about a TV-Star dog who plays a super-hero, who goes throughout life thinking he actually IS the character he plays on TV. One day he's shipped from his soundstage in LA to New York and he has to find his way back. He befriends a terrified black cat and a hamster that's stuck in its wheely ball. During the course of his journey he discovers he's not actually a super hero and blah blah blah.

I LOVE Pixar, and Lasseter, but I gotta say I am PISSED about this. Chris Sanders' story and artwork were amazingly cool, his version was going to use a special rendering technique to make it LOOK like the actual concept art, and the characters actually had... character! Lasseter wanted a lot of story changes but Sanders was very reluctant... he was given the ultimatum of "take a partner to help you or give it up" and thus he left the project and Disney all together. Now we're getting what amounts to Buzz Lightyear's story arc from Toy Story, told with a dog. Word is that Lasseter also wasn't fond of Lilo and Stitch, saying it was "too quirky for it's own good." What the fuck, John. I want to work for Pixar like nothing else but that's some bullshit right there.

I am amazed, however, that Chris was able to keep the one-eyed cat character for himself when he left Disney. I thought that place was a creative prison but his sketchbooks are full of little scribbles and toons of that cat. I think I even have a temporary tattoo of him somewhere. :lol

I've been tempted to ask him about the split and how he kept control of him, but I'm a bit weary of bringing something up that I'm sure he's asked about ALL the time now.

As for the first image, I'm torn. I can totally see Chris' style through the Disney filter slathered over it, but... it's just not the same. It's as if they took a few key details out of his style (the eyes, the shape of Bolt's head, the cat's face) but they sucked out all the charm. I'm going to feel like a traitor when I go see this. :(

Gagaman

This is pure evidence that Disney have no idea what they're doing. They sacked one of their best talents, who was originally directing this and also created Lilo & Stitch (a character of which has been a huge money maker from them), then they do....this to it? Holy hell, judging from this image they have sucked all the unique quality of the concept.

Luckly, Chris Sanders was quicly snapped up by Dreamworks, who will now be working on the film Crood Awakening, which funnily enough was a film Aardman was going to make until that deal they had with Dreamworks fell through. How odd.

Here's some more concept art of what could-have-been:

31115720_f6622048b1.jpg

6558-2007-05-06-20:03:49_1.jpg

americandog_01.jpg

:(

AniHawk

Wasn't part of the reason it changed because Cars had come out and Cars was another Disney movie about the American southwest or something? Lasseter didn't want there to be yet another film so soon with the same tone. What I'm trying to get at here is that there's yet another reason to hate Cars, other than it being an incredibly awkward and predictable film.

AniHawk said:
Wasn't part of the reason it changed because Cars had come out and Cars was another Disney movie about the American southwest or something? Lasseter didn't want there to be yet another film so soon with the same tone.

This is also true.

AniHawk said:
What I'm trying to get at here is that there's yet another reason to hate Cars, other than it being an incredibly awkward and predictable film.

:lol :lol

Phoenix

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
The concept art reminds me of stitch.

superevilstitch.jpg

That's a good thing.

Glad somebody else caught that. I thought I was the only one. For me its not a good thing if you come up with a new original property which is clearly inked by the people who did your last big original IP.

The reason the concept art reminds you of Stitch is because it's all done by the same guy - Chris Sanders. He didn't just write the stories, he does all the art, too. The guy's style is amazing and completely unique.

www.chrissandersart.com

His site's a bit sparse now, but keep in mind he's juggling his own artistic ventures with his full-time job at Dreamworks.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The new concept art reminds me of this new, frenetic style non-Pixar Disney CGI seems to have gone for. We saw it in the abysmal Chicken Little, and again in the not-horrible Meet the Robinsons. I think the new artwork for Bolt looks like crap, myself.

Lilo & Stitch was a brilliant movie, one of Disney's best in many years, and it's a shame that Lasseter and Sanders had a falling out. And it's doubly disappointing that Lasseter didn't like Lilo & Stitch. I wonder though if that has more to do with his personal differences with Sanders than with the film itself. In either case, my opinion of Lasseter dropped several notches over that whole flap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom