Autoblindo AB41 and AB43

Menarrosto

Hello!

Today I want to show you one of the most successful italian armored vehicle: the Autoblindo (=armored car) AB41 and its improvement, the Autoblindo AB43.

Early development

In 1938 the main italian armored car was still the Lancia IZM, a successful but outdated WWI design, so the Regio Esercito (italian royal army) asked for a new armored car. 

The new vehicle had to be utilized mainly in the colonies, so they required a robust vehicle with improved cross country capabilities.

The italian firm SPA based in Turin answered with a four wheel drive, four wheel steering armored car, the Autoblindo AB40. This car was, with such a driving system, a very innovative machine for the time, but the insufficient armament (only 3x 8mm machine guns) quickly led to an improved definitive version, the AB41.

Autoblindo AB41

FcQfgDi.jpg

Rear view:

8hbgl4Y.jpg

Internal view (the description is wrong):

dFWVpod.jpg

The AB41 maintained almost all the AB40 characteristics except for the armament and turret shape.

Specifications:

- manufacturer: SPA

- dimensions: 5,21x1,93x2,93m

- total weight: 7,5t

- number built: 550

- engine power: 100hp (gasoline)

- max speed: 78km/h

- hull armor: 17mm max

- turret armor: 40/15/15/6mm (It's the same turret of the L6/40 light tank)

- main armament: 1x 20mm Breda mod.35 autocannon with 456 rounds

- secondary armament: 1x coaxial 8mm Breda mod.38 machine gun and another one in the hull facing to the rear (1992 rounds total)

- penetration: ~47mm at 100m

- crew: 4 

This armored car entered service in 1941 and served for the entire war.

It was a successful vehicle and quickly became almost indispensable for the desert warfare as its excellent off-road capabilities and the powerful radio installed were perfect for fast scout and counter-scout missions. The vehicle proved to be a valuable one, and it was liked by Rommel too, who considered it one of the most important weapon in his arsenal.

Its main notable characteristic was the driving system: 2 pilots maneuvering the 2 gear boxes, one for the forward movement and one for the rearward movement, and steering independently the 2 couples of steering wheels. 

This system proved to be tricky to use, but with experienced crews it became useful when a quick disengage was required.

Then there are the 4 enormous driving wheels granting excellent grip in the sandy desert. In addition the 2 spare wheels can freely rotate, helping the car to overcome big obstacles like rocks in the rocky desert.

As usual we have some shortcomings...

The fighting compartment was very noisy and hot, due to the absence of a separation between the fighting and the engine compartments.

In addition the engine was of difficult access and the fuel tanks were unprotected.

Finally, like the L6/40 light tank, the commander had to command the car, fire and load the gun and the coaxial machine gun, all at the same time.

Autoblindo AB43

Q90pGky.jpg

In 1943 a new version appeared: the AB43.

This armored car was very similar to the previous one except for 3 main characteristics:

- improved engine of 120hp (I'm not sure about this)

- new larger turret with a 47/40 AT gun (an elongated 47/32, like the one mounted on the M15/42)

- slightly modified armor shape.

Only a few AB43 were built and served mainly with the Whermact in anti-partisans duties. In this role the AT gun was no longer needed, so it was decided to simply upgrade the AB41 cars installing the AB43 turret with the 20 autocannon instead of the 47mm gun, as you can see here:

A4mebBo.jpg

Now a rare image of an AB43 in action.

The crew is desperately trying to reach a spaghetti alla carbonara dish before it gets cold:

LCML0Zn.jpg

"Mario! Gotta go fast!!!" 

Autoblindo 47/32 (prototype)

Q6umeas.jpg

This is one of the first attempts to improve the AB41 fighting capabilities, trying to make it capable to deal against more armored opponents.

The turret was removed and the roof opened, allowing to install a shielded 47/32 AT gun (the same of the M13/40 tank). 

Only one prototype was built, but I think that it could be a perfect premium vehicle.

Here some more images of the prototype.

Side view:

yMHJhPn.jpg

Rear view (I'm sorry for bad quality):

YTONgq6.jpg

Autoblindo AB42 (prototype)

6SxiGMD.jpg

This new armored car developed in 1942 was the natural evolution of the AB41: the armor and turret shape were redesigned for an increased effectiveness, the tricky driving system was removed and the spare wheels too in order to save weight.

Unfortunately for the AB42, the italian already limited resources were dramatically decreasing, so that the construction of the new assembly lines resulted too expensive.

Only the turret was accepted and, enlarged in order to accommodate the 47/40 gun, installed on the new and already mentioned AB43 armored car.

Comparison between the AB41 and AB42 cars:

X2IpHM1.jpg

You can easily notice the different armor shape.

I think we have a new good candidate for a premium vehicle.

Edited by Menarrosto
Revised AB43 description. Added the AB42 prototype.
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal

Oh Jupiter that's a fine looking armoured car. I need to drive it now. 

I believe I read somewhere that it was a common tactic for Italian soldiers to race away from the frontlines whenever pasta was served so that when they returned they would have an advantage over the British who were weakened by their pasta-free diet. Not enough carbohydrates you see. 

Is there any chance the AB40 could be used as an anti-aircraft vehicle or would it be ineffective?    

• Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Vand3rz said:

Is there any chance the AB40 could be used as an anti-aircraft vehicle or would it be ineffective?    

Naaah... It can't fire upwards.

medal medal medal medal

First post edited with the AB42 prototype.

25 minutes ago, Mardek said:

How's the hull armor? Not that matters much in this veichles category but would be nice to be able to resist 50cal 

2 minutes ago, Technickman81 said:

NOT ENOUGH  XD, less than 10mm

I read somewhere that the frontal armor is 17mm thick. Is it true?

medal medal medal medal

• Senior Forum Moderator
On 6/12/2017 at 1:16 AM, Vand3rz said:

there is the AS42 as AAA

Regarding the light AA vehicles there's absolutely no problem. 

Fiat 1100 Militare (2x6,5mm):

HqJU8TF.jpg

SPA Dovunque 35 Breda 20/65 (1x20mm):

Rk4QEsa.jpg

SPA-Viberti AS37 Breda 20/65 (1x20mm):

4XLoC1a.jpg

Fiat Terni Tripoli (1x12,7mm):

XNBYz6I.jpg

AS42 Breda 20/65 (1x20mm):

FMYoEzu.gif

:D

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

8 hours ago, BlueBeta said:

there is the AS42 as AAA

Yep, can't wait for that guy either. The huge wheels on some of these Italian armoured cars will be great for cross-country. 

• Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 weeks later...

With the low amount of Italian tanks in the tech tree, hopefully Gaijin will be forced to make them part of the regular tech tree. Otherwise I fear these might end up like the M8 Greyhound...

59 minutes ago, Tyee6 said:

With the low amount of Italian tanks in the tech tree, hopefully Gaijin will be forced to make them part of the regular tech tree. Otherwise I fear these might end up like the M8 Greyhound...

I think it should become the main peculiarity of the ITT, a lot of wheeled vehicles with Centauro or at least FIAT-IVECO AVH 6636 as a top :)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 10:20 AM, ANYangeloVV said:

damn i didn't know the two pilot thing ... this mean (in game) that if your forward facing pilot is killed the rear one can still get in cover in reverse ... this is a cool and unique mechanic for the AB 41!

the german armored cars that are already in the game also have this feature

medal

5 hours ago, yazbeck said:

the german armored cars that are already in the game also have this feature

Yep, but the AB40 was among the firsts to use this feature.

medal medal medal medal

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had an awesome game in my AB41 today (AB GF); 9 kills!

Until now I pretty much hated it - wobbly steering, pathetic gun etc. But now it's great for close-quarters troll battle, where the mobility saves my skin, and the pop-gun is close enough to kill tanks.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

10 minutes ago, Pmanm said:

So wait if the AB41 has 2 drivers, shouldn't the tank be able to reserve away from a tank that hit the front driver?

Yes it should but this feature, the German puma has the same configuration, is not yet present 

• 2 weeks later...