• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do we really need a 5090 ?

Soldato
Can't remember where I was but some guy was harping on how we don't need anymore than a 3060 anymore, people need to separate their personal opinion from the wider world and progression, there will always be a need for a faster GPU up to a point or until it's replaced by some alternative, you see some of the demos coming out now that look photo realistic, partly due to exposure and camera tricks but still, you'd need a 6090 to run them at 4k 120fps!

Associate
Can't remember where I was but some guy was harping on how we don't need anymore than a 3060 anymore, people need to separate their personal opinion from the wider world and progression, there will always be a need for a faster GPU up to a point or until it's replaced by some alternative, you see some of the demos coming out now that look photo realistic, partly due to exposure and camera tricks but still, you'd need a 6090 to run them at 4k 120fps!
Even a 4090 is not guaranteed locked on to perform >144 fps at 4K which shows how uneconomical this resolution is for the vast majority.

Best to say that 4K is for the fine detail aficionados (but not high fps) and 1440p for the high fps (but compromised fidelity) folk.

I still feel all those that purchased 4090s will be upgrading again when the next new shiny comes out.

Soldato
Even a 4090 is not guaranteed locked on to perform >144 fps at 4K which shows how uneconomical this resolution is for the vast majority.

Best to say that 4K is for the fine detail aficionados (but not high fps) and 1440p for the high fps (but compromised fidelity) folk.

I still feel all those that purchased 4090s will be upgrading again when the next new shiny comes out.

Definitely, I may upgrade to the 5080, I know the performance gap between the 80/90 appears in benchmarks rather large but I don't think it's noticeable this gen by the time that gap matters both cards will be in the dust.

Soldato
Definitely, I may upgrade to the 5080, I know the performance gap between the 80/90 appears in benchmarks rather large but I don't think it's noticeable this gen by the time that gap matters both cards will be in the dust.
Good point, once you get past a certain FPS it's just burning energy for very little noticeable gain. I still maintain buying midrange and upgrading more often is better than buying top end and using it until it's no longer doing the job. Disclaimer: my 6950XT was bought at midrange prices ;)

Soldato
DLSS5 will be psychoacustics so that ray traced audio will emulate surround sound on 2 speakers.
And yes, ray traced audio is a thing: https://www.pcgamer.com/forza-horizon-5-will-have-ray-traced-audio-and-much-improved-engine-sounds/
AMD did it first years ago from what I remember and remember posting about it. Basically using GPUS to ray trace audio and other audio features threw the GPU.

AMD TrueAudio Next​

Last edited:
Soldato
They should try to sell the 5090 for $10k, I'd have some entertainment at least.

Endless possibilities to raise prices ;)

That wish may become true in the future for PC users, they already have more expensive GPUS in the business market.. Endless possibilities....

Soldato
The people who decide on these prices do not live like the 99.99% of the population, To them £1000 for a card isn't pennies, It's even smaller than pennies.

To the likes of Dr Su, Huang and Gelsinger, £1000 is a few bottles of champagne per night.

It's the same with my work place.. They live in a dystopia that only they can see. For us commoners it's stupidly expensive and doesn't make sense, but to them this sort of cash is just lying under the sofa.

It's like when we have a meeting and we mention time and time again we need to compete better and lower prices but they say no, we're a premium store so we need to mark up 80% which puts us above other retailers and pricing ourselves stupidly high... Great if we sell niche products but we don't! We sell the same products as the store down the road and they are 30% cheaper! Are you barking mad! Then they wonder why we're not making a profit this year.

It's like they're blinded by wealth and can't see how things really are cos it doesn't affect them.

Soldato
It's the same with my work place.. They live in a dystopia that only they can see. For us commoners it's stupidly expensive and doesn't make sense, but to them this sort of cash is just lying under the sofa.

It's like when we have a meeting and we mention time and time again we need to compete better and lower prices but they say no, we're a premium store so we need to mark up 80% which puts us above other retailers and pricing ourselves stupidly high... Great if we sell niche products but we don't! We sell the same products as the store down the road and they are 30% cheaper! Are you barking mad! Then they wonder why we're not making a profit this year.

It's like they're blinded by wealth and can't see how things really are cos it doesn't affect them.
Sounds like you need to find a job where management aren't idiots.

Back
Top Bottom