Lowkey

Tellure

Italian
Salve WRF!

Da un'app della BBC:

20200515_144912-1.png

Come dirlo in italiano? "Segretamente"?
Il contesto mi fa venire in mente "Mi vergogno a dirlo ma..."?

Grazie in anticipo.

Tellure

Edit:

Aggiungo che nel testo è specificato che "low-key" è usato normalmente come aggettivo:

Screenshot_2020-05-15-14-30-43-1.png

Immagini ridimensionate da un moderatore

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Salve, tellure!
    Il mio suggerimento: «...sono un patito inconfessato di quel gioco»

P.S.: Quando alleghi una o più immagini a un post, puoi regolarne le dimensioni, se vuoi. :)

"In this programme, lowkey is used as an adverb to mean 'secretly' or 'moderately'" :confused:

Well, good thing the previous text specified which one was meant, as I would have taken "lowkey addicted" to mean "slightly addicted." But sure enough, I was able to find an article from 2015 that specified that "lowkey" is now (or was then) slang for "secretly" because Drake used it to mean that in a song. I'm not sure how much traction this slang meaning has had, or whether "lowkey" or "low-key" has since reverted to its previous meaning. A completely ambiguous adverb / adjective would seem to be of limited use, even to slang.:)

"In this programme, lowkey is used as an adverb to mean 'secretly' or 'moderately'" :confused:

Well, good thing the previous text specified which one was meant, as I would have taken "lowkey addicted" to mean "slightly addicted." But sure enough, I was able to find an article from 2015 that specified that "lowkey" is now (or was then) slang for "secretly" because Drake used it to mean that in a song. I'm not sure how much traction this slang meaning has had, or whether "lowkey" or "low-key" has since reverted to its previous meaning. A completely ambiguous adverb / adjective would seem to be of limited use, even to slang.:)
    Questa è una notizia! Mi sembrava strano, in effetti, non aver trovato traccia sui dizionari monolingue del suo uso come avverbio. 🙄
    Grazie, theartichoke. :)

Edit:

Adverb
    low-key (comparative more low-key, superlative most low-key)
    1. (Canada, US, colloquial) A little; somewhat. quotations ▼
    2. (slang) In a low-key or surreptitious manner; secretively; on the down-low
    Synonyms
    • furtively
    low-key - Wiktionary

adverb
    What does low-key mean? low-key Definition. Meaning of low-key. OnlineSlangDictionary.com

Edit 2:
    In realtà, qualche riferimento c'era.

Forse si potrebbe dire in italiano:
    "Non dirlo a nessuno/che non si sappia in giro/che rimanga tra noi, ma adoro giocarci".

Last edited:
    I second that :confused:
    The whole dialogue sounds robotic, nothing natural about it. Is this translated from Japanese by any chance?
    Escluderei questa possibilità. È la trascrizione di tre minuti di una registrazione audio fatta per un'app della BBC.

20200517_001825.jpg

Last edited:
    I wonder if the "secret" meaning of "lowkey" is more BE slang, then. I asked a (Canadian) friend's 16 year old daughter about it, and she leaned more towards the "slightly, somewhat" meaning of the word, though she did say it sometimes can mean "on the down low."

But what an odd thing to be translating, Tellure! It looks like a program for learning English idiomatic expressions, so knowing how to say "lowkey" in Italian would seem to be beside the point.

I wonder if the "secret" meaning of "lowkey" is more BE slang, then. I asked a (Canadian) friend's 16 year old daughter about it, and she leaned more towards the "slightly, somewhat" meaning of the word, though she did say it sometimes can mean "on the down low."

But what an odd thing to be translating, Tellure! It looks like a program for learning English idiomatic expressions, so knowing how to say "lowkey" in Italian would seem to be beside the point.
    Grazie, theartichoke. :)
    Hai ragione, è solo una mia curiosità, infatti.

It's a strange wording, but I would take it to mean secretly. It would be much better phrased as "I keep it low-key, but I'm addicted to playing it". The way it's phrased would suggest to me that it's spoken by an adolescent (in the way they intentionally play with grammar and meanings)

Back